Sunday, July 20, 2014

ROTI ROAD

Hi everyone

I’ve recently decided to post something again, since all my studies have finally finished. This is a food post on the new “ROTI ROAD” Malaysian Chinese restaurant, which I have returned on several occasions.

 

Typically this is what we usually order:


Roti Canai - $5.90
These roti sheets are made in front of us so I guess they are freshly home made accompanied by three dipping sauce – curry sauce, dal, sambal.
I must admit I’m not a curry fan but this dish is a good introduction to Malaysian Indian cuisine.


Tom Yum Soup – we ordered for a table of 10, unsure how this was calculated; on the menu it states, “Serves two - $11.90”
I’ve had my fair share of tom yum soup, this had all the right ingredients but "it" compared to others I’ve had was ordinary. A little on the salty side, non the less this is my go to soup cause its got a sour savory taste which does help with my digestion for the upcoming dishes.


Satay Chicken - $9 for 6 skewers.
Another good entrée, chicken was smoky and went well with the amazing sweet peanuty satay sauce


the chefs doing their thing.


Traditional Three Coloured Milk Tea - $4.50
I am not a coffee drinker, so I wouldn’t know how to judge this one but it was recommended by my partner and he seemed to have liked it. I hate the bitterness in coffee, but this was weak with a hint of creamy cold sweetness, which wasn’t too bad to quench my thirst (water would have done the same for free).


Rendang Beef - $19.80
By this time I was getting full and seeing curry wasn’t appetizing, I had a piece and that was that. It doesn’t hurt to try but too much meat and curry mixed together isn’t what I personally would order for myself. If you are a heavy beef curry lover you might enjoy this dish.


Fried Chicken Berempah - $16.80
Got kids tagging along? If you like fried chicken this is yummy, the coating outside is salty crispy with tender unboned chicken inside (like KFC wicked wings but with different seasoning).


Belacan Kangkung - $14.80
This is water spinach stir fried in shrimp paste. This was over cooked which made the spinach too wet and soggy, and there was an overdoes on flavoring hence the overpowering saltiness.  I usually love this dish cause it's crunchy and refreshing with the minimal seafood aroma left behind in the mouth, but all was overdone that night. Lets hope it taste better next time, or maybe this is how Roti Road make this dish?


Honey Pepper Lamb Cutlets - $28.90 (don’t remember how many pieces)
All the right flavouring in my mouth, the bomb! Loved it, spicy sweet and salty at the same time which was well balanced out by white rice and steamed broccoli.


Banana Fritter with Ice Cream -  $7.50
My mum does some great fried bananas, but to compensate for not eating at home this was a good substitute, however for this price try the Roti Tisu (cause I don’t know many who can make this at home)



Roti Tisu -$9.90
This is thin crispy fried roti lightly coated with condensed milk and dusted with sugar. YUMMY! I could finish this whole thing myself even after having that much food, the portion looks huge but its deceiving to the eyes cause it’s like a thin upside cone of flour filled with nothing inside. It was not overly sweet because the bland thin crispy roti complimented well with the condense milk and sugar then dipped in the cold creamy ice cream it worked out just right.

FINALLY:
If you live in the western suburbs of Melbourne and love Mamak or Chef Lagenda, give this place a visit, it’s new and the fresh roti is like no other.  Highly recommended. I’ve visited Malaysia many times and have taken a few local Malaysians here, we all love the food and services here (quick, friendly and efficient).

Roti Road on Urbanspoon


4 comments:

  1. Hi ,

    Your first post just appeared on Urbanspoon! Check it out:
    https://www.urbanspoon.com/r/71/1835788/restaurant/Melbourne/Roti-Road-Footscray

    I encourage you to claim your blog, which allows you to add a picture and change some settings. The blog photo shows up next to your posts wherever they appear on Urbanspoon. Here's how to claim:

    - Make sure you're logged into Urbanspoon

    - Go to your blog page on our site: https://www.urbanspoon.com/br/71/13509/Melbourne/Simply-2-Fine.html

    - Click "Claim your blog" in the left sidebar

    After you submit it, we may contact you to verify your claim. Check your spam email folder if your claim hasn't gone through in a day or two. You'll also find some interesting badges and widgets on your Urbanspoon blog page - look in the right sidebar.

    If you have any questions, please contact me via email.

    Thanks,
    Greg

    www.urbanspoon.com

    --
    greg(at)urbanspoon(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I just approved your blog claim. Now your Urbanspoon profile picture is displayed on your blog page. You can upload a blog-specific photo if you prefer, and can change a few other blog settings there. Also, if you vote for a restaurant that you've reviewed on your blog, we now show your vote next to your post everywhere on our site.

    https://www.urbanspoon.com/br/71/13509/Melbourne/Simply-2-Fine.html

    Best,
    Greg

    www.urbanspoon.com

    --
    greg(at)urbanspoon(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't get the char keuy teow as it is sooo bad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol thanks for the heads up, I have no idea what that is but i'll stay away from that dish

      Delete